Impulse Lines Great for Christmas
Confectionery is a very important category during December. Stores can experience a significant increase in sales across the key subsets and it is important to plan store layouts and stock up ahead of the sales spike. These can be delineated as follows:
- Stocking fillers
- Count lines
- Selection packs
- Favours: coins, lollies etc
- Family sharing
- Box Chocolates & Gifts
- Dinner sweets.
- Nuts in chocolate – particularly Brazils.
The major brands drive the sales and spend the most on marketing.
- Mondelez: Cadbury, Toblerone, Terrys.
- Nestle: After Eight, Dairy Box, Black Magic, Matchmakers, Quality Street.
- Mars: Celebrations
- Swizzels: family sharing tubs and boxes
- Ferrero, Kinder, Thorntons
- Elizabeth Shaw, Bendicks
Closing in on the end of November it’s time to get out of advent calendars.
This is an area of incremental sales increases and improving transaction values. Build big unmissible displays! Key lines to stock.
- McVities Family Circle
- McVities Victoria
- McVities Jaffa Cakes (Christmas pack). Watch out for the “Jaffa Pole” and the 292g tin.
- Foxes Luxury Chocolate (Christmas tins)
- Danish Cookies
- Jacob’s Biscuits for Cheese
- Carrs range of savoury biscuits.
- Ritz crackers.
- Oatcakes – manly in Scotland
- Burtons Royal Edinburgh Shortbread.
- General shortbread gift presentation boxes.
- Cadbury’s Assorted Tins.
Crisps & Snacks
This category is always going to increase sales during the festive season. Obviously goes well with the increase in drink consumption and family gatherings. Here are a few areas that enjoy sales expansion.
- Family sharing bags and boxes
- A shift to premium crisps such as Kettle, Burts and Tyrells.
- Watch out for Burt’s and Walkers special Christmas packs.
- Snack caddies such as Twiglets, Cheese Balls & Mini Cheddars
- Rice crackers mix.
- Bombay mix
- Popcorn. Savoury is enjoying a surge in growth.
Nuts are also a category that enjoys an incremental sales lift at this time of the year.
- KP and Planters are the main brand drivers.
- Larger 200g sizes.
- Caddies and salted and dry roasted nuts.
- Mixed nuts.
- Cashew nuts
- Pistachio nuts
- Mixed nuts and fruit
- Monkey nuts
Enjoy the snacking
Join in the discussion of this article