September is usually a difficult month to judge for retailers. The weather can still be warm and mild or it can cool rapidly and usher in the autumn. If it continues to be mild consumers will still be buying all the summer items such as soft drinks, water, outdoor living goods and bbq products. However, if it cools there will be a turn to more hearty foods such as soup, hot meats and hot cereals. One thing for certain is that the days will get shorter with the autumn equinox due on 22nd September. The nights draw in quickly after this date bringing with them demand for light bulbs and batteries.
Prepare for a shift to cooler weather products:
- Soups and hot meats meal solutions.
- Gravy powder and meat condiments.
- Hearty desserts: custard, rice pudding and sponges.
- Preserving sugar for jam making.
- Increase in hot beverage consumption.
- Increase in chocolate biscuits and count lines.
- Soft drinks and water will continue to drive sales.
- Crisps, snack and nuts.
- One shots and small juice packs for kid’s lunch packs will increase.
- Chocolate confectionery sales will see an uplift.
- Beer, cider and lager will be heavily promoted with special packs from the brewers. Time to bulk up with multi-packs and larger pack sizes.
- Outdoor wines such as roses and light whites will sell well depending on the prevailing weather.
Chilled & Frozen Food
Totally weather dependent and difficult to predict. If it gets cooler there could be a return to:
- Bacon, sausages, pies, pasties and hot ready meals.
- Slab cakes, muffins, crumpets and morning goods.
If the weather stays warmer sales of the following will continue
- Cooked meat, coleslaw, salad items and dips.
- Multi-pack cakes and fruit pies.
- There could be a pick up for dips and snacks for in home consumption.
- The month will see a move back to Sunday lunches so frozen sales of the following will lift.
- Roast potatoes.
- Peas, carrots and cauliflower.
- Yorkshire puddings
- Sharing desserts
Warmer weather will drive frozen sales of
- Grilling chicken
Everyday Non Foods
The onset of autumn, cooler weather and shorter days will drive sales in the following areas:
- Batteries and torches.
- Light bulbs
- Coal, wood and kindling
- Electrical accessories
Any warmer weather will prolong sales of bbq items
- Lighter fluids and firelighters
- Outdoor tableware
- Good trading to everyone
Join in the discussion of this article