March Planning Ahead
March offers a host of trading opportunities. The spring equinox is on 20thMarch. This is when the days start getting longer than the nights and thoughts turn to spring and the warmer weather. Pancake Day is on 5thMarch, St Patrick’s Day 17thMarch and Mother’s Day is 31stMarch. This should be a great month for sales.
Pancake Day 5thMarch
- Lemon Juice
- Pancake Mix
- Plain Flour
- Syrup – especially maple.
- Fresh Eggs
St Patrick’s Day 17thMarch
It’s an Irish party time and with St Patrick’s Day on a Sunday this event will be big. Expect sales increases of:
- Guinness – multi-packs
- Irish Whiskey
- Sparkling wine
- Green disposable tableware.
- Any themed St Patrick’s Day non food items.
Mother’s Day 31stMarch
This event is increasing in popularity every year. The following categories will see an uplift.
- Affordable luxury chocolate items and box chocolates.
- Sparkling wine & champagne. Prosecco is always a winner.
- Greetings cards
- Fresh Flowers. Check out the Store Excel supplier directory for supply options for flowers & cards.
- Celebration cakes.
- Low cost toiletries for gifts.
General March Trading
The spring feeling and the promise of warmer weather will trigger sales increases across the following areas
- Salad dressings and mayo
- Condiments and pickles
- Canned tuna
- Canned cold meats
- Desserts, jellies and custard
- Evap milk & cream
- Sunday roast lunch condiments
- Gravy mixes, breadcrumbs and stuffing mixes.
- Soft drinks, juices and water. Bigger packs
- Crisps, snacks and nuts
- Mixer drinks
- Luxury & gifting chocolate
- Easter eggs and related confectionery. Easter is late this year starting on 19thApril. This is good for egg sales.
- Beers, lagers & ciders. Bigger packs and multi-packs
- Sparkling wine and champagne
- Casual drinking wine. Light whites and roses.
Fresh & Chilled Food
- Salads & cooked meats.
- Pork pies and sausage rolls.
- Fresh cream
- Bread rolls for outdoor events
- Hot Cross buns
- Part-baked bread
- Fruit pies and outdoor eating cakes
- Celebration cakes
- Fresh produce: tomatoes, cucumbers, and lettuce. Also roast dinner related items: potatoes, parsnips, broccoli, sprouts & carrots
- Impulse ice cream. The new season starts here.
- Vegetables and roast potatoes
- Yorkshire puddings
- Party food
- Desserts & gateaux
- Bread & rolls
- Ice cubes
Household Cleaning Items
- Window cleaners – sales uplift through to the autumn.
- Floor cleaners
- Cloths & dusters
- Foil, cling film & wrap.
- Refuse sacks
- Paper tableware
- Disposable cups and glasses
- Barbeque items
Join in the discussion of this article